This year, the AJC Decatur Book Festival has invited a diverse group of arts organizations to engage our imaginations with stories, ideas, performances, installations, films, music, artwork, and photographs in order to connect our citizens more broadly with the arts and cultural opportunities in their local community.
The result is art|DBF, an arts and culture showcase that recognizes that a vibrant, creative, and economically thriving community can be achieved by elevating the value and visibility of the arts—literary, visual, and performing; increasing accessibility, public involvement, and attendance; and working to ensure the long-term sustainability of arts organizations.
Taking place August 31st and September 1st on the Decatur Square, the 2013 art|DBF 2013 will feature:
• The Exhibition Pavilion: Decatur’s entire MARTA plaza — the heart of the city — will be transformed into an exhibition, installation, demonstration, conversation, and performance space.
• Mainstage: a central venue taken over by art | DBF each festival day for a performance center; Saturday is The Dance Studio at the newly renovated Decatur Recreation Center; Sunday is Decatur High School.
• The Atlanta PlanIt Pavilion: a space where arts and cultural organizations can build audience support and promote upcoming projects, exhibitions, and performance seasons.
• Community Bandstand: a casual outdoor performance space to engage festival attendees.
• art | DBF After Dark: a Saturday night arts gala starting at 7 p.m. on the festival plaza featuring a Flux Projection Project (Flux produces exceptional and surprising temporary public art within Atlanta’s public spaces) and several surprise pop-up performances.
About the AJC Decatur Book Festival:
The AJC Decatur Book Festival presented by DeKalb Medical is the largest independent book festival in the country and one of the five largest overall. Since its launch, more than 1,000 world-class authors and hundreds of thousands of festival-goers have crowded the historic downtown Decatur square to enjoy book signings, author readings, panel discussions, an interactive children's area, live music, parades, cooking demonstrations, poetry slams, writing workshops, and more.
MORE ABOUT OUR PLANS FOR PARTICIPATION COMING SOON